What is Urban Zen Integrative Therapy Training?
This accelerated program is designed for individuals who are already established in one or more of the Urban Zen modalities (yoga teacher, Reiki practitioner, doctor, nurse or other allied medical professional, essential oil therapist). It reduces what is normally a 12-month training program to 12 days of intensive training plus a clinical rotation. Though students are only in class for 12 days, students will have up to 12 months to complete all the program requirements.
Each training day begins with a led yoga class which includes active and restorative poses, breath work and meditation. The rest of each day is filled with lectures and discussions for the full group followed by mentor-led small groups and Urban Zen practice sessions.
Lectures and practice sessions include training in the 5 Urban Zen modalities and how to layer them to alleviate the symptoms of PANIC™
- Yoga Therapy including in-chair and in-bed movement, restorative yoga, breathing practices and guided meditation/body scans
- Reiki includes Level 1 reiki training for self practice and for use in clinical setting
- Essential Oil Therapy training and practice with 12 therapeutic-grade essential oils including Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, Frankincense and other special blends. Participants will learn benefits and contra-indications for each essential oil.
- Nutrition including nutritional information as a form of self-care for UZITs.
- Contemplative Care training and practice in the ability to stay present, calm and effective in the midst of suffering.
The UZIT program equips therapists with the necessary tools to avoid the burnout that is rampant in the nursing and care-giving communities. UZITs learn techniques of grounding, relaxation and restoration in order to be present as they serve. As Roshi Joan Halifax says, “Healthcare without self care is sick care.”
What are My Clinical Training Options?
We are affiliated with two excellent institutions for your clinical rotations—The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and Wexner Heritage Village.
Wexner Medical Center at The Ohio State University is one of the largest and most diverse academic medical centers in the country. It includes six hospitals, a network of primary and specialty care practices and more than a dozen research centers and institutes. The nurses and doctors in the areas in which you’ll be working have experienced Urban Zen Integrative Therapy modalities and are eager to add them to the support services for their patients, family members and staff. For more information on Wexner Medical Center visit their website.
Wexner Heritage Village is one of Central Ohio’s most diverse and comprehensive senior housing and health care organizations, It encompasses senior living at all levels of care and includes a rehab center and Zusman Hospice. Since early 2013, Urban Zen therapists associated with Yoga on High have been working at Wexner Heritage Village with seniors and their families. Wexner Heritage Village has embraced the modalities of UZIT which are offered from the Board Room to the kitchen, to the staff, residents, patients and family members. For more information on Wexner Heritage Village visit their website.
If you do not live in the greater Columbus area, we will work with you to find an appropriate clinical site in your area.
What are the Graduation Requirements?
In order to successfully complete the UZIT Training program and receive certification, you must fulfill all of the following:
To be completed before the start of clinical practicums:
- Attendance at all the in-person training sessions.
- Complete 18 practice sessions with friends and family, starting after the first in-person training week and due one week before the third in-person training
- Finish weekly homework logs
- Complete, with passing grades, all written modality tests at the third in-person training
- Pass the clinical assessment at the third in-person training (a practice session where a fellow trainee plays the role of a patient from a real-life case study)
- Attendance at or documented later listening to a minimum of 80% of weekly phone calls
- Complete basic CPR training and submit documentation
- Secure and submit proof of proper insurance
- All of the above to be completed and reviewed to the satisfaction of your mentor, mentor assistant or other Urban Zen staff
- Complete of any of the individual clinical location requirements, i.e., background, drug and/or TB screening, influenza immunization and/or any other site-specific requirements.
To graduate - all of the above must be in good order and the following:
- A minimum of 50 hours of clinical practicums in a hospital or clinical setting - some of these hours will be following/assisting mentors, some will be partnering with other trainees, and some will be on your own (completed on or before July 1, 2015).
- Completion of three audio recordings (two body scans and one breath awareness)
- Completion of a Final Assessment - a mentor-observed session, either in-person at the clinical location or via video for out-of-town trainees.
- Completion of a 3-day Yoga on High silent retreat, or other comparable silent retreat, approved by the Yoga on High Urban Zen staff (cost of Yoga on High retreat or other retreat is not included in the UZIT program fees)
- Payment for the training must be paid in full
All graduates of the program will be certified Urban Zen Integrative Therapists. Yoga teachers who have graduated from a 200 hour Yoga Alliance registered teacher training program are eligible to register as 300 hour level yoga teachers upon completion of the Urban Zen training and some additional workshops.
Continuing Education Credits will be available for nurses in the state of Ohio. We are also working to offer CEs for nurses from other states. If this is important to you, please communicate this to Urban Zen staff at Yoga on High.
We invite you to meet us at an upcoming information session:
Saturday, February 7 from 2:00p to 3:00p at Yoga on High
Monday, March 23 from 6:00p to 7:00p at Yoga on High
Monday, June 15 from 6:00p to 7:00p at Yoga on High
Sunday, July 26 from 3:30p to 4:30p at Yoga on High
We are offering three informational conference calls for those who may be coming from out of town or cannot make our open house dates.
Monay, April 27 from 1:30p to 2:30p
Tuesday, May 12 from 7:30p to 8:30p
Sunday, August 9 from 6:00p to 7:00p
You will receive instructions on how to join conference call once you register for a call.
Previous Urban Zen students or graduates may re-take the training at a reduced rate.
Thank you for your interest in this program. If you have questions, please feel free to email us at email@example.com.